09 February 2013

Lasik Surgery at Shinagawa Lasik & Eye Centre

Please note that this is not a sponsored post and what I have written down is entirely my own personal experience about the Lasik Operation.

Since young, I have to wear glasses because my eyesight is not good.


Even though I have switched to wearing contact lenses for convenient sake, I still find it troublesome to wear, especially because I have dry eyes.


In fact, I have minor red eyes infections twice as I have been told that this is the side-effect of pro-longed period of wearing contact lenses. Even the optical shop that I regularly patronize refuses to sell me contact lenses. That is why I have decided to go for Lasik Operations.

It’s not an easy decision as I have to consider various factors-Should I do the operation at the public hospital or private hospital? What are the different methods of Lasik available? Will there be any side-effects? Since I have a busy working schedule, I have to opt for private clinic as I can only take leave during certain days of the month. After some intensive research on line, I have decided to do my Lasik Operations at Shinagawa Lasik & Eye Centre as I have heard rather positive reviews about this clinic.


After registration at the Clinic, the nurse will conduct a series of eye examination tests on my eyes and arrange for me to watch 3 consecutive videos on Lasik.



Through these video, I have a better understanding of the Lasik Operation. Firstly, Lasik Operation does not guarantee that you will have a perfect vision as it might be over or under-corrected. Secondly, there might be some side effects about Lasik such as dry eyes and double vision at night. Well, Now I know about the side effects and risks involved in Lasik.

My Lasik doctor is Dr Lee Sao Bing.


He is quite friendly and professional. And he will be more than willing to answer any queries you have regarding the Lasik operation. Even minutes before the actual Lasik operation, Dr Lee will ask you whether you have any more questions about the Lasik Operations. For me, I am quite concerned whether I will be a good candidate for Lasik as I have very dry eyes.


Dr Lee assured me that I can have the Lasik operation but I need to be diligent and constantly apply eye drops before and after the operation.

There are a few types of Lasik operation available at Shinagawa Lasik & Eye Centre and most of them, if not all will adopt the Bladeless method.



For your information, Bladeless method is safer as no hard plastic separator is needed to pass through the surface of the cornea. I shall not go into the technical part of the Lasik methods though. After some serious considerations, I have decided to opt for the IntraLase Waterfront Lasik using the Schwind Amaris 750s Laser Method.


According to Dr Lee, I understand that this is a safer and superior Lasik Method with minimum treatment time. A high percentage of the treated patients could actually see better than before with glasses or contact lenses.


The day of the Surgery finally arrives. Frankly speaking, I am not nervous about the Lasik surgery at all. A lot of my friends have the Lasik Surgery before and they all told me that it is quite a simple procedure.


More-ever, the nurses at the Shinagawa Centre will let you know the steps of the operations before it is executed, so that you will know what to expect at the operating room.  There are 2 parts of the Lasik operation-the 1st part is to create a flap on my cornea. If you ask me about this procedure, I can only remember that the doctor inserted a rubber ring on my cornea. The second part of the operation is to reshape my cornea using the Amaris Machine. I have to stare at a screen above me that is filled with green and red lights. Basically, my eyes will have to focus on the green light instead of the red lights. Before I know it, the Lasik operation is over. Throughout the operation, I didn’t feel any pain but there was a little discomfort then. 1 word of advice: please arrange for someone to pick you up right after the operation because you will not be able to open your eyes completely. In fact, Dr Lee will encourage you to go home directly after the operation to have a short nap.

For your information, the first week of Lasik Operation is quite crucial for the recovery of the cornea.


I am glad that I have taken 1 week of leave as the doctor will only give you 3 days of MC. I have followed strictly the instructions given by Dr Lee and my cornea has been well healed.Yeah… I am able to see quite clearly now without the aid of spectacles and contact lenses.


Lastly, you can check out the website: http://www.shinagawa.com.sg/  and FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/ShinLasikEyeCentre  of the Shinagawa Lasik & Eye Centre for more information about Lasik. By the way, I heard that both Dr Lee and Dr See will organize talks at the Shinagawa Lasik & Eye Centre on a regular basis. Therefore, if you are interested in these Talks, please take note of the schedule posted on their FB Page.




26 comments:

Anonymous said...

how much did you spend for the intralase?

Shorthairlady said...

Hi Anonymous,

Around 3K+, coming to 4K though.Different procedures different prices. I will advise you to go for pre-operation examination first as doctor need to assess your eyes.

Anonymous said...

Hello and congratulations on your successful surgery! I'd just like to enquire on some post-surgical issues.
1. what are the subsequent follow up consultations which are recommended?
2. what are the costs of the medications (antibiotics, pain killers, eye drops etc) which were prescribed to you?

Thanks so much. I'm considering whether to have it done at a private clinic like Shingawa or the public hospitals.

Shorthairlady said...

Hi Anonymous,

Basically, you will have to see the doctor again the next day, 1 week & 1 month after your surgery. These are the standard procedures.

I cannot remember the cost of the medication though. If I remember correctly, the medications is included in the surgery. But, subsequently for follow-up depends on your eyes condition after the surgery, you might have to pay for them. Not expensive though.

Yes, I opt for Shinagawa because they are much inflexible in terms of booking for a surgery date plus you do not queue up for a long time for the follow up examination by the doctor after the surgery

Hope that answer your question and good luck for your Lasik!

Anonymous said...

Hi, may i know how much did u spend in total on the medication after the procedure to maintain the dry eyes? Medications like Vidisic Gel, Tranquil Eye Google, OptiClear UD? thanks! im considering if the total price spent is worthy.. btw is LSC cheaper? THANKS MANY!

Shorthairlady said...

Hi Anonymous,

When you signed up for the Lasik, some of the medications are already included in the package. It is only when you need more medications to treat your eyes, there will be extra cost incurred. It really depend on your eyes' conditions. I will suggest that you go for pre surgery consultation checkup first before deciding whether you wish to have Lasik. Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

hi! very informative post you have there! just want to ask re dry eyes. also have them. so do you have to put artificial tears every so often post lasik? thanks!

Shorthairlady said...

Hi Anonymous,
Initially I have dry eyes but it has been improved over times. One thing that I have noted is not to stare at the wordings on the handphone screen in the darkness. Once I did not do that the dry eyes conditions have improved. And the doctor will probably prescribe some Eyes Drops for you right after the operation.

Anonymous said...

I'm just wondering do u have to wear sunglasses everytime u go out after lasik? THanks

Shorthairlady said...

Hi Anonymous,

I do not have to wear glasses. In fact you can see straight away but just have to be careful not to let dust and dirt get into your eyes. That is why I will need to apply eyes drop every now and then.

Anonymous said...

hi! i'm seeing shinagawa voucher's online which is way cheaper from the origibal price of the surgery. I'm very hessitant to buy it because I may not get the result i want. Do you happen to know if their service is different if ever the patient uses the voucher? i mean since voucher is cheaper, the service and the result may not be that good.thank you!

Shorthairlady said...

Hi Anonymous,

I am not sure about this as I did not buy the voucher online. Maybe you can give a call or drop them an email.

Tara said...

Thank you so very much for all of this information! I've wanted to get lasik for a long time :)

Shorthairlady said...

Hi Tara,

You are welcome! I am glad that I have done Lasik as I do not have to depend on spectacles and contact lenses right now.

Anonymous said...

Hi;
Can you give me an estimated amount you've spent for the whole surgey? Thank you for your blog..it answered most of my questions...thanks

Shorthairlady said...

Hi Anonymous,

Its around 3k+ coming to 4k.

Anonymous said...

Hi all, I did my Pre-lasik assessment & Lasik on same day with Eagle Eye Centre @ Mt Elizabeth Novena with Dr Julian Theng. For anyone who is still contemplating whether to go for lasik, do not hesitate further. Just go do it. The Lasik procedure is simple & fast. You do not feel any pain except for some pressure felt when creating the flap. After 15 minutes, the Lasik procedure was all over. It's like Magic. I do not have to rely on contact lens or glasses anymore. This is the best decision I make for myself.

Shorthairlady said...

Hi Anonymous ,

Thanks for dropping by. And having Lasik operation is indeed the best decision that I have made. And I regret not doing it earlier.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shorthairlady, indeed I regretted for not going for lasik earlier. But it's ok, u brace the courage to do it finally. :)

Shorthairlady said...

Thanks Anonymous! Yes, I glad that I have done the lasik surgery and now I do not need to put on glasses and contact lenses!

June Law said...

Hi Shorthairlady,
I would like to know whether the procedures was done on your short or long sightedness? What was your eye degree before the lasik? Till now Feb 2014, do you still experience any dry eyes problem ? Was hesitating for lasik, but was concern about side effect.
Thanks,
June

Shorthairlady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shorthairlady said...

Hi June,

It was done on my short shortsightedness.My degree was 500 each before the operation. I only experienced dry eyes when I used and stared at my handphone when it was dark at night. Once I have stopped doing so, I do not have any other side effects.

Nadya Narendra said...

Hi shorthairlady,
How long do you have to wait until you get your first appointment? Did you make your appointment online? I have sent mine online (actually for my mum) about 4 days ago and I have no idea how long I have to wait for their responds. Since I have to fly out from vienna, I need to arrange everything way in advance. Thank you for your answer.

Shorthairlady said...

Hi Nadya,

I have made the appointment online and they are rather quite fast in their responses, within 1-2 working days. Maybe you can give them a call if they have not get back to you after 1 week.

Nadya Narendra said...

I guess I need to have a little bit more patience. Since I sent it on Thursday, perhaps due to the time differents I better give them few more days to get back to me.
Thank you again so much!